Colin Duriez has written about C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien many times over his writing career as an expert on the two. But only this year (2015) has he come out with a book exploring the two of them along with a group of other friends who often met twice a week. The Oxford Inklings takes a look at the origins of this group that is often falsely called a “writer’s group.” In this chat with William O’Flaherty, he explains why it was much more while giving insightful details about the lives of the key members of this influential circle.
Some are surprised to learn how diverse of a writer Lewis was. Finding a good single resource on an overview of him and his writings can be a challenge. That’s were The A – Z of C.S. Lewis comes in. It’s the latest book by Colin Duriez and is an update of The C.S. Lewis Encyclopedia. In this interview Colin provides details about the layout of the book and shares some selections from it.
Colin Duriez is what you might call “an expert to the experts.” He is among the top writers/scholars on not only C.S. Lewis, but also J.R.R. Tolkien. Just releasing now is his book C.S. Lewis: A Biography of Friendship. William O’Flaherty spoke with him about this title and why he chose to portray the life of Lewis through his friends.
- Purchase C.S. Lewis: A Biography of Friendship by Colin Duriez
- Get a Chance to WIN A Biography of Friendship (by May 16th)
- Visit Colin Duriez’s Website
Most of you are aware that last month (July, 2016) there was an event in England called “An Inklings Week in Oxford.” It was hosted by the Inklings Fellowship. There were 10 plenary talks (one hour), five “second breakfast” speakers (thirty minutes) and also each morning during morning worship there was someone sharing to help put the day in focus. Obviously it would be too large of a task to highlight all of that, so what follows is a podcast that shares short excerpts from talks most related to Lewis or his works. As noted in the introduction the purpose of this show is to remind those who attend what it was like and to let others know what they missed so they will consider attending the next one in 2019! All talks shared today were given at St. Giles Church in Oxford.
(LINK IS NOW CORRECTED)
Listen to Highlights Inklings Week in Oxford 2016
- Watch (on YouTube) Hal Poe’s Kickoff Talk
- Visit All About Jack YouTube Channel
- Learn More About Inklings Fellowship
- Listen to Walter Hooper Interview
- Listen to Lewis at Poets’ Corner [book] Interview (has links to other Michael Ward interviews)
- Listen to The Oxford Inklings Interview (has links to other Colin Duriez interviews)
- Listen to Not God’s Type Interview (has links to other podcasts with Holly Ordway)
- Listen to A Naked Tree/Yet One More Spring Interview (has links to other Don King interviews)
- Purchase C.S. Lewis Goes to Helll
- Listen to All About Jack on iTunes
- Visit EssentialCSLewis.com